Back in my hometown Kerala, moru curry is a staple at most homes!
This is such a simple curry with just two main ingredients Yogurt or buttermilk and Coconut and makes a perfect n soothing accompaniment with rice .
You can add veggies as well like melons ,yams or more flavoring like shallots, garlic and ginger and make it even richer and yummier!
I chose to add some ground gooseberries and made my father’s favorite Nellikka Moru curryJ
Nellikka Moru Curry
- 3 Gooseberries
- ¼ Cup grated Coconut
- ½ Cup Yogurt
- 1 Green Chilly
- ½ tspn Cumin’s
- Salt to taste
- For tempering
- 1 tspn Oil
- ½ tspn Mustard seeds
- Curry leaves
- Roughly chop the gooseberries and discard the seeds
- Grind the coconut, cumin seeds, green chilly and gooseberries to a fine paste
- Add two tablespoon water ,salt and beat the yogurt well.
- Heat a pan and add the beaten yogurt and stir well and cook for 2-3 minutes
- Add the ground paste and cook for another 2-3 minutes until it is foamy.
- Remove from the flame and prepare the tempering by heating the oil in a wok.
- Add in the mustard seeds to the hot oil, once it starts to crackle add the curry leave sauté for few seconds.
- Add the tempering to the Yogurt gravy and stir well.
Off this goes to Kerala Kitchen hosted by Prathibha